Land Use Permit Applications

The following is a brief description of applications available at the City of Puyallup Development Center, with links to the applications.

Commonly Requested Forms:
  • Pre-Application Meeting Request - A Pre-Application Meeting is an opportunity for developers and their representatives to meet with staff to discuss preliminary studies or sketches of a proposed project. The intent of the meeting is to identify and/or eliminate potential problems to ensure that the project, once submitted, is processed without delay. An application, site map, conceptual plan, and other documents pertinent to the project, must be submitted to the Development Services Center at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled meeting.
  • Zoning Verification Letter  - Zoning verification request may be submitted to receive verification of property zone and Puyallup Municipal Code information.
  • Boundary Line Adjustment Title Page
  • Boundary Line Adjustment Title Page
  • Short Plat Title Page
  • Short Plat Title Page
Permits that are processed administratively and do not require a public hearing before the City's Hearing Examiner, Planning Commission, or City Council, are as follows:
  • Administrative Variance Application - Application used for more 'minor' deviations from development standards, such as zoning setbacks, proposed lot size/dimensions, lot coverage, building height, etc. The amount of deviation from development standards is relatively limited through an administrative variance permit; call 253-864-4165 to discuss your project and requested variance from the basic zoning standards applied to your property.
  • Administrative Conditional Use Permit - A land use permit requiring a special degree of review due to unusual effects of characteristics peculiar to the use. Not many land uses require an Administrative Conditional Use Permit (ACUP); call 253-864-4165 to discuss with a planner if your proposed land use requires an ACUP.
  • Boundary Line Revision Application - The adjustment of a property line between two or more existing adjacent parcels, with no additional parcels being created.
  • Critical Area ID Form - This form is intended to be used by property owners/applicants in disclosing all known critical areas on a property planned/proposed for development. This form is generally intended to be included with all land use permit applications.
  • Detached Accessory Dwelling Unit Permit - This permit is required if you are proposing to build a new detached accessory dwelling unit (or convert an existing garage or other "out-building" into a secondary dwelling unit). Detached accessory dwelling units are commonly referred to as "mother-in-law apartments" or a "secondary dwelling unit". The size and nature of detached accessory dwelling units is limited and require this special review permit, with notification to neighboring property owners, prior to submitting a building permit for a new secondary dwelling unit on your property. See this brochure (PDF) for more information, or call 253-864-4165 to discuss the permit process with a planner.
  • Food Truck Permit Application - This application is used to review food trucks that intend to locate on the same site each day but are not necessarily kept on-site overnight, under the allowances of Temporary Uses - PMC 20.70.012(3)(a). If the food truck will locate on multiple sites, a Food Truck Application will be required for each site. 
  • Home Occupation Application - A business/professional occupation conducted in a dwelling which is clearly incidental and secondary to the use of the structure for residential purposes.
  • Lot combination - The combination of one or more lots into a single tax parcel. This permit process is streamlined through the Pierce County Assessor Treasurer's office, which provides a form for lot combinations. Applicants should print the "Request for Segregation/Combination" from that page, fill out the applicable areas and submit to the city for signature. Lot combinations "for tax purposes" are not regulated by the City of Puyallup.
  • Preliminary Site Plan - A review of a proposed development plan, for compliance with zoning and development standards, building and fire codes, public works engineering standards, and the State Environmental Protection Act.
  • SEPA Checklist - Required by state law for certain specified larger projects, the SEPA checklist is used by the city in making environmental determinations regarding proposed developments.
  • Short Plat Application - A map representing the division of land into four or less lots, tracts, or parcels.
  • Temporary Use Permit - Used for certain short term land uses, including temporary car sales, food trucks, etc. Firework sales, temporary retail booths/stands associated with the Western WA Fair, and Christmas tree stands are required to submit a temporary stand permit through the City Clerk's Office. Contact the Planning Division at 253-864-4165 if you are not sure if your temporary use requires a "temporary stand" or a "temporary use" permit.
Permits that require a public hearing before the City Examiner are as follows:
  • Binding Site Plan - A form of site plan and subdivision application for commercial or industrial properties only (e.g. not applicable for residential development).
  • Conditional Use Application - A land use permit requiring a special degree of review due to unusual effects or characteristics peculiar to the use, size, location, type of equipment used, or demands upon public facilities resulting from such a use.
  • Major Plat - Preliminary - A map representing the division of land into five or more lots, tracts, or parcels.
  • Rezone - The change of property from one zoning designation to another zoning designation, within the same land use category (e.g. does not require a Comprehensive Plan Land Use Map Amendment). Applicants considering a rezone application should call the Planning Division at 253-864-4165 to discuss the process and eligibility for rezoning. The majority of proposed rezones require an accompanying Comprehensive Plan Land Use Map Amendment. A planner from the City can determine this for you.
  • Shoreline Substantial Development - A permit required for development or modifications to lands adjacent to and within 200' of Clark's Creek or the Puyallup River only (development near other smaller stream bodies are not regulated by the Puyallup Shoreline Management Plan (SMP). Some uses within 200' are exempt from these permit requirements - other proposals may require a Shoreline Conditional Use Permit or Variance permit; call a planner at 253-864-4165 to discuss which shoreline application type is needed if you are considering development or land modifications near Clark's Creek or the Puyallup River.
  • Variance - Application used more for 'major' deviations from development standards, such as zoning setbacks, proposed lot size/dimensions, lot coverage, building height, etc. Variances are required for proposals if the deviation from zoning standards exceed what can be processed under an administrative variance; call a planner at 253-864-4165 to discuss which application is needed if you are considering a variance request.
Permits required to go through the public hearing process and obtain City Council approval include:
  • Annexation - The transition of land from Pierce County into the City of Puyallup.
  • Comprehensive Plan Amendment - An amendment to the language or map of the Comprehensive Plan.
  • Major Plat - Final - A final version of and conformance to an approved preliminary plat (5 + lots).
  • Municipal Code Amendment - An amendment to the language of Titles 1 through 21 of the Puyallup Municipal Code.
  • Pre-Annexation Utility Extension - The extension of City utilities (water and sewer) to a property outside of the City limits, prior to that property being annexed into the City.
  • Please contact Development Services at 253-864-4165 for Land Use Permit Applications not listed above.